Friday, April 24, 2009

April Poem-A-Day 20: Noam Titus Dawson

Noam Titus Dawson

You're out on the streets drunk
and pulling around a shopping cart.
Here lurks no treason, here no envy swells,
Here grow no damned drugs, here are no storms,
No noise, but silence and eternal sleep…
I don't think anything could be further from the truth.

Unless you've had your heart set on watching Dumbo.

"Tough love" is just the right phrase:
love for the rich and privileged,
tough for everyone else.

And I have been
your sidekick,
your confidant,
your other half
for so long and
that's how our relationship works.

If you quietly accept and go along
no matter what your feelings are,
ultimately you internalize what you're saying,
because it's too hard to believe one thing
and say another.
Because I can not understand
why anyone would choose that kind of life.

I'll find a day to massacre them all,
And raze their faction and their family…

Their moral values are very explicit:
shine the boots of the rich and the powerful,
kick everybody else in the face,
and let your grandchildren pay for it.

You are definitely a mystery.
All this verbal sparring…
is getting a little dangerous.
So we should just go on a date
before someone gets hurt.

Because let me tell you,
they may all live in fear of you,
but I don't.

© 2009, php

The above is not written by me. I merely assembled it. It's a mashup of quotes from Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus, Noam Chomsky, and the TV show Dawson's Creek. I drew from the above linked Wikiquote pages the phrases I thought interesting and arranged them with a few line breaks here and there.

I see why people like doing mashups: it requires remarkably little creative talent or inspiration. It's kind of fun though.

No comments: