Saturday, January 14, 2006

City Night

An early example (1977) of my stream of consciousness poetry. And, no, I have no idea what the hell I was doing with the punctuation in this. Perhaps I was using them in the older fashion, as pauses for reading aloud. I just don't remember but it's kinda strange.

I was rather enamoured with using slashes to combine words in odd ways. "Para/fables" is, I think, a grafting of parable and fables with the additional use of para meaning to the side of or along side of.

When I look at it now, it reminds me of a rap lyric. Not when I wrote it but there are flowing rhymes and rhythms throughout and a bit of lyrical sensibility. Obviously neither the content nor the vocabulary is "rap" as we know it today. And I have the fairly widespread white boy musical disability: total lack of musical rhythm. But word rhythm is something else, I can do that. When I read it aloud, even I, beat deaf cripple that I am, can find a pulse to it.


City Night

High pressure elation shooting

from the tips of pain-encrusted
nerves toward the silent and endless,

(mouthing syllables of lost distance)
emerging from para/fables

crooning their own versions of night
in a lustful craze that burns,

burns elves as if they were fagots
distilled from a different substance

(apollo in antitonal) visions seems
mirthless and without poesy...

sigh draws nigh unto completion
encased in competition,

enclosed in a deep dark city sensation,
pins stab in flickering neon,

irresistible flow of millions as one
rarefied and diversified entity

pushpulling pleasure and pain thru sieves;
gyrating madly and noisily there,

here in a/the centre of far flung sadness,
happiness yet floats a banner:

singles, couples, groups, the whole: kinship
of one for another, miracle rated (ranted),

communicationslanted, bantered offhandedly,

horror binds/winds fear/intoxication,

discounted hopes on sale (by mail),
scandals prattle everywhere in scores,

outraged public mores (they cry: more!),
too downed out to listen (vitamin-Q),

too upped to stop (caffeine on the brain),
(question: what/when/how is sane

relative to anthill city life?)
the hill is a razor sharp knife;

not occam's razor, for how do
you define these variables?

(the razor has serrated edges.)


October 1977
©2006 wordlackey for php

No comments: